Thursday, December 26, 2013

The Shack by WM Paul Young


I just finished this book after borrowing it from my friend Daphne yesterday. She was telling me so many good things about it as we were on our way home after a Christmas potluck. I then remembered how I wanted to read it a couple years back after hearing so many people gush about it. So I dropped by her house to pick up the book before heading home. 

This is such a beautiful book. I feel like a better person after reading it and it certainly deserves a re-reading or two. That's the only way you're able to glean the essence of the story. 

The book is about Mack, father of five, whose youngest daughter was murdered at a shack. A few years later, God invites him back to the same place, incredible as that sounds. 

He meets 3 people, Elouisa, Jesus, and Sarayu who are the Father, Son and Holy Spirit respectively. The first is a great cook, the second a carpenter and the third a gardener. 

The story is about his experiences and conversations with them, individually and corporately. If you're like me, this book will upend your views about God and how we are to relate with Him.

As cliched as it sounds, the greatest thing I took away from this gem was that God desires to have a living and loving relationship with us and He only requires us to be open to this possibility. 

I'd recommend this book to everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment