Sunday, February 2, 2014

Sex and the Supremacy of Christ by Various Authors


I was reading a blog post by someone who linked to this free ebook which you can get if you click here.

With such an intriguing title, I could not help but dive straight into it. Now, for those who know me, I'm not a big fan of ebooks, perhaps because I don't own a Kindle, but possibly because I like the heft of a good book and the joy of turning the pages. Yet, this is the second complete ebook on my iPhone I've finished after Rachel Held Evans' 'A Year of Biblical Womanhood'. 

Well, this is a collection of essays written by various ones, and as such, it's a book of uneven quality. I shall gush about the titles I like and rant about those I disagree with to be fair, so bear with me. 

John Piper starts by declaring two main points: that sexuality is designed by God as a way to know God in Christ more fully and that knowing God in Christ more fully is a means to guarding and guiding our sexuality. It was pretty deep. 

The chapters I loved were Chapter 6: Sex and the Single Man and Chapter 8: Sex and the Single Woman. I suppose this is so because of the relevance to me. These are wonderfully written chapters that instructs single people how to live most fully for God. 

Marriage is not the ultimate aim, Carolyn McCulley, author of the latter chapter advised - the glory of God is. The chapter for men said that one should not do to a single woman what he would not do to a married woman. Brilliant advice I reckon. The chapter was written by four different men who provided different and Christ-like perspectives on what sex meant to the single man. 

On a different note, the chapter that I had issues with was Chapter 5: Homosexual Marriage as a Challenge to the Church. 

I disagree not with the fact that homosexual marriage is indeed a challenge to the church and that the conversation should be filled with love instead of judgement. It was this line that caused revulsion to rise within me: "There can be no question that the Bible comprehensively and candidly identified homosexual acts - and even homosexual desire - as sin." 

How can desire be a sin? It is but a temptation isn't it? Isn't it stated in Hebrews 4:5 that "we do not have a High Priest who cannot symphatize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin". If Jesus was sinless and even He was tempted, how can the authors categorically state that desire is a sin? 

Can you imagine how someone who experiences same-sex attraction must feels when he or she reads this? 

Rant aside, I think that if you skip this chapter, the rest of the book is pretty good and provides a sound argument for Sex and the Supremacy of Christ. 

No comments:

Post a Comment