Sunday, February 23, 2014

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde


This marks a breakthrough for me. Third ebook I read using my iPhone. Though I must say that I read half of it using a kobo mini my friend lent me - that speeded up the process quite a bit and I'm thankful for it. 

My dear friend Theresa, who is an author herself, recommended the book to me late last year. After downloading the kobo app recently, I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was available for free and eagerly downloaded it. 

Oscar Wilde does not disappoint. This is one remarkably witty book full of paradoxical, thought provoking statements. I loved it! It really made me ponder on the assumptions we take for granted even in this day and age. 

Well, the story opens with two friend, Lord Henry and his painter friend Basil who were discussing one of the latter's muse, Dorian Gray. A chapter later, we meet the protagonist whom the book is named after and realizes that he is a beauty unlike any other. Basil paints a portrait of Dorian as Lord Henry entertains Dorian by going on in a fascinating monologue. And to cut the long story short, after a vigorous argument of sorts, Dorian wishes that he would never grow old and that the painting would. The story then revolves mainly around him. He gets his wish granted with terrible consequences. 

The book makes for good reading and moves on at a sprightly pace except for one chapter in the middle that I felt was rather long winded. I suppose there must have been some hidden meaning that was lost to me but will probably be also lost to the average reader as well. Nonetheless, the rest of the book more than makes up for this minor flaw. 

I loved the ending too! Very apt!

Everyone should read this gem!

No comments:

Post a Comment