Sunday, July 19, 2015

Malay Sketches by Alfian Sa'at


This is one lovely book by the masterful writer that is Alfian Sa'at. I enjoyed reading this book very much.

As a Malay writer, he gives an insight into what the lives of the Malay people through his (really) short stories that are 1 to 3 pages long. I took it with me on my commute as it was perfect for the short trips that I make daily. I didn't have to worry about forgetting the plot of the story as I could finish each story before I alighted. Brilliant stuff.

I must say that if the stories are a reflection of what's happening in Singapore right now, it's pretty sad. Well, if this is so, more people should read this book then. Only with education can attitudes change.

My favourite story is the story titled "Losing Touch", have a quick read and you'll find out why I love it.

Love the accompanying illustrations by Shahril Nizam that come with each story too!

Well, all in all, it's a must-read for all Singaporeans. Go buy get your copy today man. (Mine was a borrowed copy from the NLB. Which is a great alternative when one is short of cash. Haha.)

No comments:

Post a Comment