Monday, September 14, 2015

Stuff Matters - Exploring the Marvelous Materials that Shape our Man-made World by Mark Miodownik


If Bill Gates recommends a book, I'd definitely read it. So when he tweeted about it recently, I knew I just had to get ahold of it.

Now do note that I have a degree in Materials Science and Engineering which makes me a bigger nerd than most on all things made of materials - which is, everything, actually.

This book is BRILLIANT! If only it'd been written when I was in school, it would have motivated me to study hard in class and attempt to appreciate the esoteric nature of the modules I was taking. Mark Miodownik is a great writer and he makes every chapter supremely interesting.

We learn about how concrete works in buildings to how chocolate works. You'd probably not consider chocolate a "material" but he does, and he devotes a chapter to it. (If only my professors did that... Well, I can only whine.)

He moves on to glass and how it is formed from sand and describes how different it is and then goes on to wax lyrical on ceramic and how it is made.

Traditional materials like metal and paper aren't left out and we are regaled with tales of how they are used in the modern and ancient world.

It isn't every day that you get an interesting and captivating science book written by a professor and when you do, treasure it, because you never know when the next one is gonna come by.

No comments:

Post a Comment