Wednesday, April 12, 2017

The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood



Before there was Suzanne Collins and The Hunger Games, there was Margaret Atwood, the original writer of our dystopian future.

This was a book donated to me by a friend who was a missionary abroad. And it had been sitting on my shelf for the past 2 years before I decided to read it on a whim a couple days back when my other non-fiction titles got a little boring.

What an amazing book it is!

I forgot how good Margaret Atwood can be. It's been a long time since I picked up one of her titles (I vaguely remember The Handmaid's Tale as a somewhat disturbing novel.)

Anyways, this book is about a time when The Waterless Flood (aka a pandemic not unlike SARS) took over the world. The Gardeners, a kinda Christian-environmentalist cult, had predicted it for years and were living their lives in preparation for that.

The novel centers around 2 main characters who take turns narrating, an older woman, Toby, and a younger girl, Ren. It traces their paths of how they came out of their vanilla lives and entered the realm of The Gardeners.

It was really interesting to read the hymns Atwood penned. Reminds me of the ones I sing in church. You can even listen to various renditions on YouTube!

All in all, it was an excellent book, it was so uncanny how even though the book is almost a decade old, it still seems rather relevant. I can imagine a future quite like the one she describes.

*Shivers*

Get your copy today, from the bookstore or the library!

No comments:

Post a Comment